Monday, May 3, 2010

Book Review: A Century Turns by William Bennett

Category: Adult-Nonfiction, Historical
Format: Hardcover, 320 pages
SkoMomma's Rating: 3 out of 5


A Century Turns is book similar to the "America: the Last Best Hope" series of historical books written by William Bennett. This is the first one of his historical review books that I've read, but I understand the earlier books have been well-reviewed and in fact used by many home-school families as a part of their curriculum. What's different with A Century Turns would be that during this series of historical years Bennett played significant roles in the private and political realm as Secretary of Education and director of Office of National Drug Control Policy among others.

Beginning with the Reagan years, Bennett details the major happenings in the U.S. and world-wide while offering his own insights based on his involvement. What I enjoyed about the book was those particular insights and conversations that Bennett had with key politicians and leaders. What stands out to me is that while I was a sophomore in high-school in 1998, I seemingly missed a lot of things going on around me during the first half of this book. So, I'm glad to understand some of those events better now as well as recognizing the impact on things happening today. I also like the fact this historical glimpse is only for the last 20 years. Often times most high-school level courses get so mired down in the revolutionary and civil war that the end of the year comes and the students have only just gotten into the Vietnam War. At least that's how things were when I was in school. "Modern day" history was rarely covered in depth and what a shame as these events typically play such an important role in understanding what's happening around us today. With the format of this book, one can read a relatively concise account of modern-day history.

My biggest struggle with the book was that it tended to be somewhat dry and it took me longer than expected to finish the whole book. Nonetheless, this would make a good resource for anyone interested in "modern-day" history.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com http://BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment